Thursday, September 25, 2008

Surgery went well...

Surgery went well. They gave Anne her epidural around 11:15 and rolled her into surgery around noon.



Having never seen an epidural administered, it was pretty intense, at least relative to the kind of things I see on a daily basis being a real estate lawyer. They sat her up on the hospital bed, leaned her forward to me, and then started poking things into her spine. I say it was intense, but I could really only tell that by the brief flashes of pain I saw come across Anne's face. Anyway, the epidural process happened pretty fast, and she survived...which is good because now she knows that she can survive an epidural if/when they do one when the babies arrive.



She was back out of surgery at around 1:00, but she was pretty drugged up...they had to give her a second hit of the epidural and some additional pain mediciation when she was in the OR. According to her OBGYN and perinatologist, the cerclage was a total success. Cervix is all secure, and they say it is completely reasonable to assume she will go the full 38 weeks (which would be late January/early February).



So, now we are back home, just woke up from a nap. I have to sit down and make Anne a 2800 calorie per day menu, and I also have to pick up some new vitamins for her. Her mom and Renee are going to be helpful in terms of keeping her fed with the high calorie stuff, and I'm going to need to spend every waking hour on the treadmill to maintain my girlish figure.



The doctor's orders are for pretty strict bed rest for another few days or couple of weeks...basically until Anne feels ok to move around the house. Even after that, she's confined to "house rest" (or house "arrest" - not sure which), which means she can move from large furniture piece to large furniture piece every so often, can get up every now and then to make herself a glass of milk, but needs to stay on her butt other than that. Fun fun. Again, all about the babies, and any sacrifice we have to make, we make.



Co-MVP awards of the day go to Mrs. Leslie and Herbie and Renee, who were good soldiers with us at the hospital. And, of course, my Anne, who was a total trooper and has been through this whole process.

No comments: