Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Thank God for the beautiful sound of JOY

Today wasn't a typical day in the Ryan household. We had our alarms set for 5:45am because Avery was scheduled to have an MRI (more on why in a bit) at 6:45am at Women's and Children. Riggs woke at 5am just to make sure he got a little one on one time with me and Tim. No need for alarm clocks around here!

Dearie was kind enough to come and watch Riggs at 6:15am. And so we were off to the hospital to have an MRI done to evaluate the sacral dimple we discovered on Avery Sunday June 6th. We have been anxiously awaiting some kind of answers as to whether this was a serious issue or something that was a non-issue.

In order for them to do an MRI on a 17-month old they have to sedate them, which requires an IV. This ranks in the top 5 worst moments of my life as a mother. I have never seen my baby girl in so much pain. She is usually a trooper with these sorts of things but I could tell this was extremely painful. Not to mention she had to be starving because she hadn't had liquids or solids since dinner the night before. The ten minutes I held her after the IV was inserted and we were waiting for her to be taken and given the sedative felt like hours. Me just rocking my screaming baby. I wanted to cry but I had to be strong for her. It was awful.

Once they took her I did cry. My heart hurt for my baby. Then we waited for 30 minutes while they did the MRI. When I got my baby girl back she was loopy and confused. They said we had to stay for 30 more minutes to let the sedative wear off a little bit. I sent Tim home to pick Riggs up to bring him to MDO.

After Tim picked us up we went home so I could watch Avery and make sure she wasn't still too clumsy. After a while I decided she was ready to go meet brother at school. This is when the sound of JOY finally comes into play.

Avery's class was outside on the playground. As I opened the classroom door that led to the playground I spotted Riggs and wanted to make sure he didn't spot me, so I kinda shoved Avery out and she looked at me like "you want me to go out there ALONE!" Well off she went, then she and Riggs spotted each other.

Never have I felt such joy. They both squealed with excitement!!!!!! It was so damn cute. They ran to each other and just kept squealing and laughing. I wanted to so badly run to them and hug them but I know better, they would have never let me leave.

A little while later I got word that fortunately Avery's dimple is a non-issue. This was relief.

We are so blessed to have two beautiful, healthy (relatively ;), loving children. I am sure we wont always hear these kinds of squeals but I will always remember.

No comments: