From the age of 3 months to almost 8 months the babies were the best sleepers. Almost too good to be true. They would sleep 12 hours a night. It was awesome! We also got spoiled. Riggs would go down so easy and be asleep before his head hit the crib. Avery would toss a little and make the sweetest noises to put herself to sleep. We would have dinner, I would do house chores, Tim would go back to work and then we would go to bed around 11pm - and still get more than enough sleep.
After a trip to Tahoe this summer their sleeping habits went south. The time change, the sleeping arrangements, the climate change, the runny noses turned ear infections, and letting them sleep in the bed between us as a last resort did not help the situation at all.
The last three months have been the hardest (sleepwise) for us. I don't have the will power to let them cry it out - for selfish reasons. I'd rather get them back to sleep in the fastest way possible so I could get back to sleep!! We were up so much every night that I think our bodies began to adjust to 30 minute sleep intervals. This time frame was harder then when they were itty bitty.
Once Avery got back to her regular (by regular I mean 5 out of 7 nights without waking) decent sleeping habits I was scared to death that Riggs would wake her up with all of his tossing and turning. This is when Riggs got the boot from the nursery and had to move into the pack-n-play in the playroom. We hoped this would help him (have his own space to cry it out) and me (not hear him quite as well). Unfortunately it didn't. I don't think the 3 ear infections he had helped either. We finally got tubes on the 13th of November. I had heard such wonderful stories of how instantly babies were sleeping after getting tubes. This was not the case for us. Both babies didn't do well (again sleepwise) the first week of tubes.
After getting the clear from the ENT at our follow up appointment that we have no ear infections, Tim made the decision to lead Operation Sleep (Riggs) immediately. He has been wanting to do this for a while but I kept putting it off that he was sick, he was out of his routine by travel, etc, etc, etc.
Last night Avery and I moved upstairs. Her in the pack in play and me on the couch. Tim and Riggs would remain in the master and nursery rooms. Tim prepared himself for a rough night of letting Riggs cry for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, and so forth. I prepared for a fabulous night sleep on our old couch. Avery did so so upstairs - we were up a few times. I personally think she was too cold. We came downstairs this morning at 6:30 and found Riggs in the bed with Daddy!!! I couldn't believe it...Daddy gave in?!? That wasn't the case at all - Riggs didn't make a peep the ENTIRE night. At 5:15 he started to stir and Tim was prepared to let him cry it out, but when Tim saw his watch time at 6:15 he figured it was time to get Riggs and make his morning bottle. Off to the kitchen they went only to discover that Tims watch was still on east coast time!!! Tim then took Riggs back to bed in hopes of getting a little more shut eye. (It took a while but they both got a little nap in.) and that is why I saw Riggs and Tim in the bed this morning.
Hopefully Night Two and Night Three go really well for Daddy and Riggs.
No comments:
Post a Comment